Kerry C. Duggan
Kerry C. Duggan is CEO of a sustainability strategy firm, SustainabiliD, where she is a cross-sector “connector and change agent” in business, policy and politics (at all levels of government), academia and in the non-profit sector. With an ESG-mindset and DEI core values, she finds and drives creative ways to implement triple-bottom-line principles into actionable policy, processes, and projects. She is a recognized thought leader, sought for advice, connections and technical expertise by investors, universities, philanthropy, energy and climatech companies, government and business leaders. Duggan takes a place-based approach to clean energy, climate resilience, environmental protection and in helping cities, states and the USG accelerate solving equity-related challenges.
Duggan is a Member of the Board of Directors of Perma-Fix Environmental Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: PESI). She is also on the advisory boards of RockCreek Global Investment, Aclima, Inc., Walker-Miller Energy Services, Arctaris Impact Investors Opportunity Zone Fund and HeatX.
In February 2021, Governor Whitmer appointed Duggan to the State of Michigan’s Council on Climate Solutions, to advise on the implementation of the MI Healthy Climate Plan, to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to transition toward economy-wide carbon neutrality. In 2020, Duggan served as a climate, energy and environment policy advisor to the Biden campaign, was a campaign Surrogate as well as a Biden appointee to the Biden-Sanders Unity Climate Change Task Force.
After her time in federal service, Duggan co-founded the Smart Cities Lab, was a Partner with the Honorable Thomas J. Ridge’s firm and served on the external advisory board of the University of Michigan’s Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise. In 2018, she was named to the prestigious 40 Under 40 list by Crain’s Detroit Business. Ms. Duggan has also served as a Trustee of the University Liggett School and as a Member of the Board at the Global Council for Science and the Environment.
Duggan spent nearly seven years (2010-2017) in federal service, including in the Obama-Biden White House as Deputy Director for Policy to then Vice President Joe Biden for energy, environment, climate and distressed communities. Simultaneously, she served as Deputy Director of the Detroit Federal Working Group to support Detroit’s revitalization. Prior to the White House, Duggan held several senior roles at the Department of Energy, including as Secretary Moniz’s embedded Liaison to the City of Detroit (where she championed a citywide LED streetlight conversion), and in the Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy as Director of Stakeholder Engagement, Director of Legislative, Regulatory & Urban Affairs, and as a Senior Policy Advisor.
Duggan earned her B.S. in Environmental Studies from the University of Vermont and her M.S. in Natural Resource Policy & Behavior from the University of Michigan.
- University Liggett School, Trustee
- University of Michigan:
- Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise, External Advisory Board
- School for Environment & Sustainability, External Advisory Board
- Alumni Leadership Council, Council Member-at-Large
- Climate Change Research Assistant
- Detroit Country Day School, Alumni Mentor
- 2020 Biden for President, Climate, Energy & Environment Policy Committee, Co-Chair
- 2020 Democratic National Convention, Platform Committee, Biden Appointee
- Biden Appointee to the Biden-Sanders Unity Task Force on Climate Change
- City of Detroit Census Complete Count Committee, Co-Chair Outreach Committee
- Office of the Vice President, Deputy Director for Policy
- Detroit Federal Working Group, Deputy Director
- Office of Secretary, Liaison to the City of Detroit
- Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE):
- Director of Stakeholder Engagement
- Director of Legislative, Regulatory & Urban Affairs
- League of Conservation Voters (LCV), Campaigns Project Manager & PAC Coordinator, IE Campaign Director
- Michigan LCV, Deputy Director & Director of Development
- Michigan Environmental Council (MEC), Policy Specialist, Case Manager, Southeast Michigan Representative
- Honorable Thomas J. Ridge’s firm, Partner
- Smart Cities Lab, Co-Founder