Kerry C. Duggan
- SustainabiliD LLC, Founder & Principal
- Governor Whitmer Appointee to the State of Michigan Council on Climate Solutions
- Corporate Advisory Board Member (several)
- Federation of American Scientists, Senior Fellow
- Global Council of Science and the Environment, Board Member
- National Wildlife Federation, Wolfpack Member
- International Women’s Forum, Professional Member
- National Press Club, Communicator Member
- Michigan League of Conservation Voters, Board Member
Duggan is a cross-sector “connector and change agent” in business, policy and politics (at all levels of government), the academy and non-profit sector. With an ESG-mindset and DEI core values, she finds and drives creative ways to implement triple-bottom-line principles into actionable policy, processes, and projects. Duggan takes a place-based approach to clean energy, climate resilience, environmental protection and in helping cities, states and the USG accelerate solving equity-related challenges. She is a recognized thought leader, sought for advice, connections and technical expertise by investors, universities, philanthropy, energy companies, government & business leaders.
In February 2021, Governor Whitmer appointed Duggan to the State of Michigan’s Council on Climate Solutions to advise on the implementation of the MI Healthy Climate Plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and transition toward economy wide carbon neutrality.
In 2020, Duggan was a Biden appointee to the Biden-Sanders Unity Climate Change Task Force, along with Sec. John Kerry and Adm. Gina McCarthy. She later co-chaired the Climate, Energy & Environment Policy Committee for the Biden campaign.
After her time in federal service, Duggan co-founded the Smart Cities Lab, was a Partner at the Honorable Thomas J. Ridge’s firm and served on the external advisory board of the University of Michigan’s Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise. She was also a Trustee of the University Liggett School.
She previously spent nearly seven years in federal service, including in the Obama-Biden White House as Deputy Director for Policy to then Vice President Joe Biden for energy, environment, climate and distressed communities. Simultaneously, she served as Deputy Director of the Detroit Federal Working Group to support Detroit’s revitalization. Prior to the White House, Duggan held several senior roles at the Department of Energy, including as Secretary Moniz’s embedded Liaison to the City of Detroit (where she championed a citywide LED streetlight conversion), and in the Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy as Director of Stakeholder Engagement, Director of Legislative, Regulatory & Urban Affairs, and as a Senior Policy Advisor.
Duggan earned her B.S. in Environmental Studies from the University of Vermont and her M.S. in Natural Resource Policy & Behavior from the University of Michigan.
- University Liggett School, Trustee
- University of Michigan:
- Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise, External Advisory Board
- School for Environment & Sustainability, External Advisory Board
- Alumni Leadership Council, Council Member-at-Large
- Climate Change Research Assistant
- Detroit Country Day School, Alumni Mentor
- 2020 Biden for President, Climate, Energy & Environment Policy Committee, Co-Chair
- 2020 Democratic National Convention, Platform Committee, Biden Appointee
- Biden Appointee to the Biden-Sanders Unity Task Force on Climate Change
- City of Detroit Census Complete Count Committee, Co-Chair Outreach Committee
- Office of the Vice President, Deputy Director for Policy
- Detroit Federal Working Group, Deputy Director
- Office of Secretary, Liaison to the City of Detroit
- Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE):
- Director of Stakeholder Engagement
- Director of Legislative, Regulatory & Urban Affairs
- League of Conservation Voters (LCV), Campaigns Project Manager & PAC Coordinator, IE Campaign Director
- Michigan LCV, Deputy Director & Director of Development
- Michigan Environmental Council (MEC), Policy Specialist, Case Manager, Southeast Michigan Representative
- Honorable Thomas J. Ridge’s firm, Partner
- Smart Cities Lab, Co-Founder